Re: Using "things" in prose

Subject: Re: Using "things" in prose
From: Jeff Miller <jefrson -at- OSUUNX -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 14:20:00 -0500

On Fri, 16 Jun 1995, Barbara Hallnan wrote:

> We all love getting our sacred prose edited.
> I'm currently being edited, and my editor changed:
> >
> > You are ready to move mail messages if you have:
> > - Created ....
> > - Moved ...

> > When you have done the following things, you are ready to move
> > mail messages:
> > - Created ...
> > - Moved ...

I have a "thing" about using a colon after an incomplete sentence to set
off a list. Every handbook and style manual that I own states that the
colon, when used to set off a list, should be preceeded by a complete
sentence. This may be one reason your editor changed your instructions.

However, I like your conciseness, and I agree that "things" is not a very
concrete word. So if it were up to me, I would use your version but
delete the colon:

You are ready to move mail messages if you have

-- Created...
-- Moved...

Jeff Miller
Publications Editor
Oklahoma State U.
Agricultural Communications
jefrson -at- osuunx -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu