Re: Salary history

Subject: Re: Salary history
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 08:20:27 PDT

Rose Wilcox writes:

>Anyway, the company is advertising again.... Should I apply? Or not apply?
> Send a middle-sized salary requirement? Call the people I know who work
>there and explain the situation and feel them out about salary range? Call
>the people I know who work there and find out if it is some other factor
>that got my resume rejected?

Why not try the direct approach? Call up H.R. or the hiring manager
and discuss the job. Ask them flat-out what the job is like, who
the manager is, and what it pays. Then you'll know.

The H.R. person may well tell you that the hiring manager has unrealistic
expectations, is a snob about college education (I've known managers
who would only hire people from Ivy-League colleges), or doesn't have
genuine intentions of hiring anybody, but doesn't close the job opening
for obscure internal political reasons. Or the ad may simply not
reflect their actual desires.

-- Robert