Re: Help! Measurement Question

Subject: Re: Help! Measurement Question
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 08:12:13 MDT

Debra asks:

>>Since the measurement refers to a fraction/decimal less than one, do I
write "inch" (for one ten-thousandths of an inch) or "inches"??

According to _The Gregg Reference Manual_, the singular form of inch
should be used in the instance you cite (7th ed., sections 427 and 444).
Both of these sections use examples that include decimal measurements of less
than a whole unit. The assumption under which I'm working here is that the
examples the editors of GRM use follow the rules they dictate. I could
be wrong, but I figure that, in the absence of any clearly specified rules
(other than the rules of logic), examples of stylistic choices in a style
guide are the next best support for usage (barring editorial oversights, of
course).

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce