Re: Rates for Desktop Pub

Subject: Re: Rates for Desktop Pub
From: Al Barten <barten -at- MMFES1 -dot- PSF -dot- GE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 12:33:09 -0400

Jim,
The January 1994 issue of National Association of Desktop Publishers
Journal lists the following average salary & wages for desktop publishing
shops:

Owner Operator
Female (full-time) $2,458/month
Male (full-time) 3,599/month
Freelance (3rd gender???) $37.40/hour

System Operator
Full-time 2,114/month
Freelance 14.78/hour

Graphic Designer
Full-time 2,103/month
Freelance 17.55/hour

It also lists the range of reported rates by various tasks such as text
creation, editing & proofreading, etc. The ranges are so extreme as to
be useless. For example, text creation has a range of $8/hr to 75/hr.

NADT also sells a book: Pricing Guide for Desktop Publishing Services. I
haven't seen it, but it can be gotten from NADTP at 462 Old Boston
Street, Topsfield, MA 01983 (800-435-7116). The cost is $40.50 for
members, $59.00 for non-members (a lot of money unless you really need it).

I hope this helps.

Al Barten