Re[2]: Humor, Dr. Seuss

Subject: Re[2]: Humor, Dr. Seuss
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 16:17:00 -0600

It would have been better, Arlen, if your *response* to his first post
could have had a trace of hospitality in it. Since it's his *first* post
to TECHWR-L, how's he supposed to know that the pseudo-Seuss piece has
been posted here before? Hardly the way to make him feel welcome.

Perhaps. Perhaps it was just because I've been re-"discovering" that particular
piece of doggerel on the average of more than twice a week now for over two
months, on one list or another. (Three times this month on this list alone, if
I'm not mistaken.) Then again perhaps I simply expected someone to either have a
pressing reason for a first post or to "lurk" for at least a week (about the
length of time since its last appearance on this list) before performing a humor
check on the list population.

Welcome he is, no doubt about it. It was the post I criticized. I ask you, what
does it say about someone's concept of our little gathering if it's to be
considered at all logical that a piece of humor aimed specifically (from the
title) at tech writing is floating about the Internet which we (an international
collection of Internet-roaming, card-carrying -- well some of us anyway -- tech
writers numbering nigh onto a thousand) haven't already seen?

It's one thing to run across something cute and post it here because you haven't
seen it float by on the list traffic in the last 6 months or so. It's quite
another to assume that you've made a fresh discovery simply because you haven't
seen it go by in the last minute or two.

Then again, perhaps I'm just a nasty BEM out looking for prey.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124