Re: Sentence structure

Subject: Re: Sentence structure
From: Steve Wax <stevewx -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 00:55:27 -0700

> "...identify the need or condition first and follow it with the instruction."

> A. To drive a car, first go to the department of transportation and apply
> for a driver's license.

>C. To access the reports database, exit the personnel screen and return
> to the main menu.

>dee (jans -at- apsmsmail -dot- pcmail -dot- prc -dot- com)

I believe you're right. Another way to think of it is that you first state
the requirement and then how to meet it. You need to "drive a car," "access
the reports database." The need occurs to you before you try to figure out
how to meet it; that's just basic temporality--state the problem (the
condition, the requirement), then give the fix (the instruction). Stating
the need provides needed context for further statements about how to meet
it. Otherwise, why should the reader care? S/he's being told to exit the
personnel screen, but why should s/he? What's the need? Clear that up first.
Why baffle and irritate the reader by making him/her wait till the end of
every sentence before s/he can learn the point of it?

steve wax stevewx -at- eskimo -dot- com
After the final no there comes a yes
and on that yes the future world depends. --Wallace Stevens