Re. PageMaker flow problems

Subject: Re. PageMaker flow problems
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 08:12:29 LCL

Kelly Burhenne asked about a problem flowing text and graphics in
PageMaker (PM):

Generic note: For most situations, it's not worth splitting a document
into multiple independent stories. There are exceptions (e.g., putting
tables in a separate story, newsletters), but tech. documents usually
work best as a single story in my experience. That being said:

1. Consider doing as LaVonna suggested and turn the entire mess into a
single story. Pasting and flowing of text will then work fine.

2. Graphic flow: Text always flows automatically around graphics in PM
unless you turn off the word wrap options. Drop in your graphic, then
go to the menu to ensure that you have the appropriate wrap selected.
Note: You may have to check the bottom of the text block that contains
the graphic to make sure that the bottom windowshade moved down; if
there's another story right after the story that contains the graphic,
the text won't flow automatically, another good reason to follow point
1.

3. Text flow: If you drop the text into an existing story at the
appropriate point, the text will flow automatically. I'd guess from
your description you're creating a new story, in which case the
existing stories won't flow to make room for it. (Not a disadvantage:
this protects your work from being un-laid-out by a careless paste.)
Simply open the story already on the page before you do your paste,
then see the note at the end of 2.

Hope this helps!

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.