Re: Comics

Subject: Re: Comics
From: Nora Merhar <MERHAR -at- ALENA -dot- BITNET>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 12:57:57 CDT

I read comic books also, and I can't even justify them by calling them "graphic
novels" (an attempt, in my mind, to justify a form that shouldn't need
justifying or legitimizing) . Mine are simply "adult comics." Some examples?

"RAW" (put out by "Maus" writer Art Spiegelman and his wife, Francoise Mouly)
"HATE" (Peter Bagge)
"WEIRDO" (now sort of defunct, since R. Crumb and Aline Kominsky-Crumb moved to
France--but they've put one out since, and will probably do more)
"DIRTY PLOTTE" (Julie Doucet, from Quebec--sorry if this word offends any
Canadians)

and anything by Dori Seda, Mary Fleener, M.K. Brown, and a host of others.

I'm surprised at technical writers' general resistance to using cartoons/
pictures in our work. Not only do they help explain complex procedures, and
provide examples, they also break up the text and give the user a bit of a
rest. Since so many of us learn visually, why not try to teach some of these
topics through comics?

Nora
merhar -at- edsvcs -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com