Help--Placing photos in HTML

Subject: Help--Placing photos in HTML
From: Mark Sanders <MSANDE -at- WPOSMTP -dot- METC -dot- DOE -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 15:06:01 -0400

Sorry, this is an elementary question, nonetheless, it still
is baffling us. Our photography department has been trying
to get photos into an acceptable image to place on the Web.

They have been scanning the negatives (not quite sure what
software) and saving them as .bmp files. Not only are they
huge files, bmps are not acceptable for our
use--newsletter and WEB. They have no other choice--as far
as they, or I know about.

They then convert them to .gif files (for use on the Web)
using Hijacker; problem is, not matter how high they are
scanned, they lose a good bit of their detail and are not
acceptable to place on the Web. And when she does send
them electronically to be placed in PageMaker, they print
without much contrast, i.e., everything is grey.

We are researching what type of software we should
purchase, or other procedures we should take. Any
suggestions?

1) Would Adobe Photoshop be able to translate, correct, or
help in any way?

2)Are there less expensive applications available to do the
job?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

M. Sanders
Morgantown Energy Technology Center