Re: Comics

Subject: Re: Comics
From: "Laura Lemay, Killer of Trees" <lemay -at- LNE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 20:33:00 EDT

Regarding the comics thread -- if comics as a medium for communication
interests you, definitely pick up a book called "Understanding Comics,"
by Scott McCloud from Kitchem Sink Press (ISBN 0-06-097625-X). This book
is a completely brilliant discussion of comics as a medium and as art,
and delves into concepts of time, abstraction, transitions and the
representation of motion. And its all presented, of course, in a
comic-book format. Its a terrific book.

And while we're all recommending good comics, I'd mention DC's Sandman
series. The author of this series, Neil Gaiman, is probably one of
the best fantasy writers around at the moment, and the Sandman books
have some of the best writing I've ever seen (and I've been reading
comics for a long, long time).

Look for a trade paperback called "Dream Country" from DC Comics (ISBN
1-56389-016). This is a collection of some of the best Sandman issues
including "Midsummer Night's Dream," which was the first comic book
to win the World Fantasy award (yes, its based on the Shakespeare play).

Laura
lemay -at- lne -dot- com