Call for Responses to TW Survey

Subject: Call for Responses to TW Survey
From: Peter Hager <FAC_PHAGER -at- VAX1 -dot- ACS -dot- JMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 08:51:26 -0500

Department of English
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(703) 568-6202
IN%"FAC_PHAGER -at- VAX1 -dot- ACS -dot- JMU -dot- EDU"

June 27, 1995

Dear Technical Communication Professional:

The technical writing program at James Madison University is
developing new M.A., M.S., and Ph.D. programs in technical,
scientific, and professional communication. Many of you have
already completed the survey that I offered several weeks ago
over the Internet. For those of you who have not yet responded
to the survey, I'd like to solicit your opinions on the need
for graduate programs in technical writing a second (and final) time.

Our intention is to create programs on the master's and doctoral
levels. While we believe that there is a growing demand for
graduates from programs in technical, scientific, and
professional communication (as born out by the rising enrollments
at universities nationwide in such programs), your responses to
the short survey attached here would help us to assess the actual
need for such programs as well as the opportunites available to
program graduates.

You will notice that, in addition to a detailed description of
the proposed programs, the survey consists of four sections. The
first section asks for general demographics. The second second
section measures the need for graduates of the proposed programs
in the technical communication marketplace. The third section
assesses the personal interest you might have in seeking a degree
in the proposed programs. The final section solicits information
on the types of computer software that you use in your daily
work. We encourage you to share copies of this survey with
colleagues who you believe might have interest in the proposed
programs.

Based on the information you provide us on current job demand,
your estimate of employment in the professions, and the relative
importance of possible curriculum content, we would then be able
to develop programs that effectively meet the needs of our
students. We will keep your responses confidential and
anonymous. We will post the results of the survey on TECHWR-L
sometime in late June.

We appreciate your taking the time to help us in designing and
implementing graduate programs that effectively meet the changing
career demands placed on technical, scientific, and professional
communicators.

Thank you,

Peter J. Hager
Acting Head