Re: comics - U.S. Army

Subject: Re: comics - U.S. Army
From: Steve Wax <stevewx -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 06:35:43 -0700

Dick Dimock writes:

>Back in the seventies, the U.S. Army put out a series
>of "comic" books on equipment maintenance.

<snip>

>I latched onto one early in my tech writing career, and
>have carried it in my collection ever since. I consider
>it a stellar example of technical communication.

<persnippity>

Too long ago, my mentor pulled open a drawer full of his prize catches,
rummaged way in back, and fished out a folded and taped glassine.
"Grasshopper," he said--well, what he actually said was, "Now this they
read!" He handed it over. I unwrapped it--he's giving me a comic book?--and
began to read, amazed. "The Army let them *do* this?" "It cost," he said,
"but it got your attention."

And it still had his. He was hovering, not letting it out of his sight. So I
handed it back and he put it away per his own private spec: (1) slide manual
back into glassine, (2) refold permanent creases, (3) retape carefully, (4)
reopen drawer, (5) reach way in back, (6) lay manual down gently, (7) close
drawer.

"They did that one right," he said. "That was the best."

--

steve wax stevewx -at- eskimo -dot- com
After the final no there comes a yes