Re: Indexing Tools for Word

Subject: Re: Indexing Tools for Word
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 08:49:40 PST

Keith Soltys wanted info on indexing tools for WinWord6. Mike
Szczepanik suggested:

> Some of you regular Doc-to-Help users should explain what that product
> adds to Word for Windows' indexing capabilities. I evaluated a copy
> of D2H a couple of years ago and was very impressed with this feature
> of the program.

I've not really spent much time indexing in Word itself. D2H allows
you to create an index target list, and then tags that go along with
the target. What happens is that you create the target list (these
are the words that the program is looking for in your manual). You
can set up the program so that an index tag is created automatically,
or so that you are prompted to choose the tag you want inserted at
that point. Once you have your target/tag list set up, D2H scans
through all your chapters and either inserts a tag or stops and asks
you for the tag you want inserted. When done, you simply (D2H does
this) convert the D2H tags to XE fields, and then gen your index.
Easy? Not really, and you really need to understand how your want
your index to be before you start. Once you figure that out, then
it's not too difficult.

Want more info? Let me know...

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com