Peer Reviews -Reply

Subject: Peer Reviews -Reply
From: Judith Leetham <JUDITHL -at- WORDPERFECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 11:09:54 -0600

Dear list,

IMO having peers (other writers) review your writing is better than no
review at all. But, having been reviewed by writers, reviewed by
editors, and reviewing other writers let me advance a warning. Writers
who review (self included) have an almost uncontrollable urge to rewrite
someone else's work in the way they themselves would have written
the information originally. It takes an almost inhuman level of self-control
to limit comments to grammar or content inaccuracies. It is probably OK
not to be a content expert, because your future customers probably
aren't either.

Most editors of my acquaintance have evolved beyond these base urges
to rework in their own image. This may be because <I am sure> one of
the job requirements for editor is tolerance, acceptance, and
understanding that there is more than one way to describe a cat (notice
the politically correct change to an idiom).

Good luck to all writers who must review other writers
and good luck to all writers who must be reviewed by other writers.

Peace
judith
jleetham -at- wordperfect -dot- com