Project Scheduling Software

Subject: Project Scheduling Software
From: Karyl Severson <karyl -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 10:30:41 -0700

Hello, TECHWRLRs -

I don't like sounding like a broken record, but I really think you
may all want to really consider Comtech's PUB$Estimator software,
which runs with Excel on either PCs or Macs.

The reason I keep harpin on this is because Comtech, under the
leadership of JoAnn Hackos, has developed the most accurate ways of
predicting documentation/training project schedules that I've seen.

Among the factors built into the software calculations are:

* Product Stability
* Information Availability
* Availability of Subject Matter Experts
* Review Time
* Writing Experience of Writer(s)
* Technical Experience of Writer(s)
* Audience Awareness

Not only is PUB$Estimator a scheduling tool, but because it depends on
people keeping track of the way time is spent on a project, it also
provides time-tracking and budgeting features.

Comtech has figured out the formulas for us, developed all sorts of
worksheets and reports, and provided many other tools. It comes as
close to being accurate as anything I've seen, plus it's a whole
heck of a lot easier to use than MS Project.

Ultimately, any of these tools are only as effective as the data
that we put into them. And by the way, I have absolutely no affiliation
with Comtech or its employees.

Good luck in planning, budgeting, scheduling, and getting results!

Karyl
--

Karyl Severson
Technical Writer, Product Development