Re: Whatsa dtp?

Subject: Re: Whatsa dtp?
From: Karen Mayer <Karen_Mayer -dot- TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTES -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 20:17:17 EDT

I responded to Richard personally, but this deserves a full scale post.
Dtp software is not a fancy word processor. All text should be created in
a word processing application and then imported into a dtp package. The
first time you insert a word into the front of a document and then have to
wait while all the other text repositions itself will convince you not to
do your original text creation in the dtp package.
Good luck,
J.P.

Not necessarily true. A REAL DTP, like Frame (I assume) or Interleaf (I know),
would be quick enough to handle direct input. Writing in a word processor
then converting to a DTP is time consuming. Often you have to run some kind of
filter, which can take forever if you have a large document or one
with graphics files already in it. Then you probably have to format the thing
once you get it in the DTP. Yes, I have used low-end DTPs that are too slow
to effectively handle document creation or large-scale editing, but a high-end
package won't have this problem.

Desktop publishers are to word processors like the PC is to the Commodore 64.
More powerful, more features, easier to accomplish tasks. I have seen
DTPs that are no better than some higher-end word processors, though, so careful
research is in order if you're thinking of using one.

-- km