Re: Re[2]: Portfolio contents

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Portfolio contents
From: Stuart Reynolds <stuartr -at- FIRSTGRAPHICS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 10:50:13 -0700

>>> I'm working to put together my first portfolio. I think I need to include
>>> examples of various types of writing but do I need to include samples from
>>> various tools? Would it be advisable to do the same document in
>>> PageMaker, Quark, and FrameMaker?

>> My advice is: It isn't necessary. That's like showing the hammer you
>> used to build a house: Who cares? Just use the best-looking examples of
>> each TYPE of work (e.g., graphics, book), and in your resume, list the
>> tools you use the most.

>The layout and the tool are pretty independent (hopefully!). If I've got
>a great layout that I've developed in Frame, and I'm all of the sudden
>forced to use Word, I'll re-create my great layout in Word. No one should
>be able to tell whether I've used Frame or Word to create the document.
>All they see is a great looking document.

>I agree with the above advice. Just tell them that you know all these
>tools.

Ya most definately. Your references to the app's you can use or have used
should be saved for the resume. Your portfolio/presentation foldder is for
the "end products" to sorta "show your wares". They are (for the most part)
interested in the fact that you can give them the finished article
on-dime&on-time rather than how you get there.

Ciao

Stui

------=| First Impression Graphics |=------
Yes these are my own thoughts and/or opinions.. Why the hell do I need to have
this disclaimer anyways?!?!?!?! It's my opinion and everyone's entitled to it.
If you don't like it, then don't read it! My employer backs me up on this as
I am one and the same person.