Should we unionize?

Subject: Should we unionize?
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 09:30:21 PDT

FREEDOM!!

Freedom of choice.

Many would like the "security" of a union. They can join the already-
existing Writers' Union.

Many, as Paul Cheverie states, prefer the freedom of action of
non-union work. That is why they remain independent writers in
the first place.

I strongly oppose any mandate for overall "Certification" or
"Unionization".

People come from many different avenues into tech writing,
giving the profession a wonderful leavening that fosters
professional creativity. Any kind of regulation lowers our
standards to a lowest common denominator, which I, for one,
prefer to exceed.

Dick Dimock, Artfully Senior Renegade Tech Writer
AT&T Global Information Solutions
El Segundo, CA Where the glow of the eternal flames of the
Chevron Refinery can barely be seen through
the morning coastal fog. Gotta be a metaphor
here, but one eludes me.