Re: Definition of Server

Subject: Re: Definition of Server
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 07:04:46 MST

One subscriber offered the following definition:

> "A server is a networked computer system that allows multiple access to
> shared applications and data."

Another thought that it was a bit too narrow and suggested the following:

> "A server is a component of a computer network that allows multiple access to
> shared services such as applications, data, printing, and communications
> (fax, telecommunications, etc.)."

It was my understanding that the original poster wanted something
basic, *very* basic, and which even omitted any reference to
networks. In that case, I think both of the above are too much.
I suggest

"A server is a computer that stores programs and data that can
be accessed and used by other computers."

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=