Standard conventions for navigation

Subject: Standard conventions for navigation
From: Wm Blank <wmblank -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 17:28:57 -0700

Hello all.

My team is about to begin work on a user guide for a new program. We're
wondering if there is a standard convention or style guide for common
actions one performs onscreen.

For examples, 1) does one "Click" or "Select" his/her choice?

Or 2) is there a standard way to say, "Click (or select) the little
arrow to the right of the combo box to pull down the list from which
you select, etc"?

Or, 3) what does one do with scroll bars? Scroll? Hold down the mouse
on the down arrow of the scroll bar until you see...

I don't want specific answers to these few examples. I want to know if
Microsoft (or anyone else) has evolved a style guide to describe the
common actions one performs at the user interface.

Seems to me the world may be ready for one.

Thanx in advance.
--Bill