Re: Document Numbering

Subject: Re: Document Numbering
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 18:17:00 EDT

Ricki,
I have a preference for indention of succeeding levels of text
primarily for the reader's visual reference. Proper indenture defines
hierarchical *belonging* in a document visually so that the reader knows it
without having to think about it.
Regards
Paul
paul -dot- cheverie -at- canada -dot- cdev -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Document Numbering
Date: Tuesday, July 11, 1995 8:34AM

Does anyone out there have any strong opinions about document numbering? I
am
refering specifically to section numbering in design specification
documents
put together by engineers. I have seventeen subsystems that I have set up
as
1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc. Does it work best to use indents for subsections as
you
go
into deeper levels? My lead engineer wants everything flush left and my
preferred method is indenting subsections. Is there a standard I should
follow
or is it abitrary? Or should we lock ourselves in a dark room with knives
and
see who comes out alive?!*

If the responses warrant it, I will summarize and post to the list in a week
or
two.

Thanks!

Rikki