Re: Hogging Bandwidth... Am not!

Subject: Re: Hogging Bandwidth... Am not!
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 13:53:06 -0400

>>This morning's TECHWR-L digest required nearly 25 minutes to download from
>>America Online on the 2400 baud line available in my hometown ... blah blah
>blah

>I'm getting really good at deleting messages like this one. To me, it is
>simply whining at one level. At another level, it is censorship. You're
>telling me to stop talking because I'm costing you money. That only makes me
>want to reply to every TECHWR-L message that comes across, while keeping the
>original message intact, until I'm flamed off the system or the weak are
>forced to give up.

<snip a lot of whining>

Garret, you missed the point. No one wants to deny you or anyone else the
right to post whatever your little heart desires. What IS annoying, however,
is having to download a _reposted_ digest because an inexperienced user
accidentally included the entire thing when responding to a portion of it,
or because the digest bounced back as undeliverable somewhere.

I, too, wade through a lot of email every day. I chose not to get this list
(or any of the other lists to which I subscribe) in digest form, because I
prefer to have control over each message individually. So when I receive a
_reposted_ digest, I'm seeing every message twice. And yes, I connect at
28.8, but I pay for my connect time myself because I'm an independent
contractor.

Please make sure you read (and understand) each message in its entirety if
you choose to respond with a flame. That way you won't look as foolish.

Win
-------
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor