Re: ASSISTANT TECHNICAL WRITER

Subject: Re: ASSISTANT TECHNICAL WRITER
From: Adam Almog <nissim -at- BU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 19:24:22 GMT

Barry West (Barry_West -dot- S2K -at- s2kext -dot- s2k -dot- com) wrote:
: Stephen Victor wrote in reaction to a solicitation for an Assistant Tech
: Writer:

:>Would someone explain to me how a position with the above description could
: > called "entry-level"? Sounds to me like someone wants an experienced writer
: > work for an entry-level salary....

: I would be very interested in hearing the answer to that question myself.

Hey! I've got the answer. I am not employed as a technical writer, but
I do have experience in every single area mentioned in the ad.

Much of my experience comes from working as a computer lab assistant
required to do documentation.

: Entry level, but:

: - must be a technically-adept writer

Sure: training manuals, on screen help, technical thesis, E-mail
consulting. Undergrad stuff!
: - should have excellent written and oral communication skills
: - must be able to clearly describe complex technical procedures for UNIX
: hardware and/or
: software.
Sure.
: - have the ability to work independently to meet project goals/schedules
Yes.
: - have experience with FrameMaker, other desktop publishing systems,
Yes.
: - basic graphic design highly desired.
Yes.

: I wonder what an experienced Technical Writer does there?

I think this is a great position for an undergrad (or grad)
who has helped a typical university computer lab with documentation.

Hard work, but definitely a nice entry level plum! ;)

I am in Boston, and would love to break into the business. I have
written for Wired and Popular electronics. I have also done oodles of
user help and technical documentation. I spend a fair amount of my time
trying to drive serial devices on my PC with C. I've just started learning
visual basic. I have beene been using UNIX since 1989.

If you feel a bit overloaded - I'll subcontract your work for 2/3
your going rate!

: Barry_West.S2K @ s2kext.s2k.com @ INTERNET

Treon, via Adam