Re[2]: I want to be a tech writer

Subject: Re[2]: I want to be a tech writer
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 10:32:00 -0600

I'm always surprised when a bright candidate indicate a "serious"
interest in our profession and some of the answers they receive are quite
negative and seem intended to discourage.

I'm reminded of a story told by Jascha Heifetz. A mother asked him to listen to
her son play the violin. After the son played she asked for Heifetz's opinion.
"Give it up and be a cab driver, " he growled.

Years later, after the son's concert at Carnegie Hall, they encountered Heifetz
in the audience. "What do you think now, Mr. Know-it-all?" was the mother's
sarcastic greeting.

Heifetz smiled. "Madam, I knew the first time I heard your son play that he had
the talent. That's why I'm here tonight. I also knew that if he would ever let
my opinion dissuade him from continuing the violin, he would never succeed as a
concert violinist."

It's easy to go into a field when everyone's optimistic. But when the external
rewards, both substantial and insubstantial, are so difficult to come by as they
are in a field like ours, optimism doesn't help. If someone hears Gwen (or
others of us) tell a sadder tale of the field, and are discouraged from entering
the field, they didn't have what it takes to be a writer, anyway, and it's best
(for us *and* them) that they find it out early.

And if they plow ahead despite knowing the problems they face, more power to
them, and we welcome them.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124