Re: Numbered headings

Subject: Re: Numbered headings
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 08:55:04 MST

Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> wrote-->

> What I'd like to know is if anyone out there feels the opposite way.
> What advantages does section numbering have over doing away with the
> numbers?

First let me state that I am not *defending* the use of section
numbering. I just thought about your question, and came up with
a possible advantage.

Navigation. If I asked you to turn to the section on
encapsulation, you'd have to leaf through the entire document or
check the TOC to get a page number. But if I asked you to turn
to section 14.3, you could go directly to it. It's almost (but
not quite) as precise as if I had given you a page number.

I know, I know: So why not just use the page numbers?

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=