Re. Certification based on experience

Subject: Re. Certification based on experience
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:05:26 LCL

James Perkins raised an interesting point in his discussion of
certification. In his example, an Australian psychologist can become
certified without actually practicing, and herein lies the key: as
several techwhirlers have noted, the letters after your name aren't as
important as the letters that you've put on the printed page and sent
to an audience.

If "we" ever do decide to go with certification, this strikes me as
the way to go: a testimonial from your supervisor and colleagues, to
prove that you've been doing real work, for a real audience, and that
the audience really benefitted from the value you added. (Yes, this is
simplistic and prone to abuse, but it's a starting point. Perhaps some
form of audit to confirm that the testimonial is real.)

Comments?

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.