Re: Electronic Eng. and Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Electronic Eng. and Tech Writing
From: Peter Bechberger <up0s -at- RZSTUD1 -dot- RZ -dot- UNI-KARLSRUHE -dot- DE>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 14:03:20 GMT

Hi Steve,

unfortunately I'm not able to hear your presentation about EE/Tech Writing,
because I live in Germany. But nevertheless, I'm very interested in the
topic because I'm a student of EE writing my master's thesis at the moment,
and I already know that I won't develop electrical devices because I love
Technical Writing (I have done this for 2 years at Siemens).

The point is, that it is not very usual to make a carreer like this in
Germany. Most people writing documentation now have experience in the
subject they had studied (eg Engineering, Teacher) and have landed up
coincidental in the Tech Writing field. There is exactly one university that
offers a course in Tech Writing, so there are not many people who started
writing immediatly after university (like I intend to).

What I would like to know from you Tech Writers in the US having an
Engineering backround:

1. Why are you writing or why are you not doing *real* Engineering any more?

2. Did you start writing immediatly after university?

Thanks a lot for reading this and maybe answering.

Peter

--
Peter Bechberger *** eMail up0s -at- rz -dot- uni-karlsruhe -dot- de