Numbered headers

Subject: Numbered headers
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 16:53:47 -0700

>Even though I hate the way they look, I have often found myself wishing
>for them when a document refers the reader here, there, and everywhere!

I find documents containing numbered sections and paragraphs ugly and
unapproachable. Documents that use typographic variation to communicate
structural information are friendlier and more attractive.

I don't understand how a paragraph number can be anywhere near as useful as
a page number for finding your place in a paper document.

With FrameMaker you can automatically achieve consecutive page numbering
across chapters and inclusion of page numbers in references. It's more of a
bother with Word. I imagine you can do it with other packages as well.

If you take your documentation on line, the built-in references translate
into hypertext links, but section and page numbers get left behind. Whatever
format you choose for your printed links, be sure to make your publishing
program generate them automatically from information built into your
document files. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro