Re: Translation cost help

Subject: Re: Translation cost help
From: "Sevigny, Josee" <joseey -at- M3ISYSTEMS -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 19:02:59 -0400

>Tami Goodall said:
>> For planning and estimating purposes, I use the following benchmarks:
>>
>> User's guides: 4 pages/day, $400/day - $100/page
>> Technical reference guides: 3 pages/day, $400/day - $154/page

Pages don't really compute well for translation purposes. Word count goes
better. I usually estimate a rough 400-600 words/day depending on the
complexity of the subject, subject research involved, etc. If the translator
doesn't have to do any research than he/she can pull of around 1200
words/day. This estimate includes editing time but excludes formatting.

Maybe what you've got is not words only. Then you add a percentage for
graphics (either for handling only, or for translating as well). Of course
GUI translation as to be computed differently since in most applications,
the terminology tends to be consistent.

As Geoff Hart stated, the $0.20/word prevails in the Montreal area, though
independent contractors can do it for less.
\\|//
(o o)
Josee Sevigny Technical Writer
M3i Systems Inc., Longueuil, QC
e-m joseey -at- m3isystems -dot- qc -dot- ca
Tel (514) 928-4600
Fax (514) 328-8785