Developing a technical writing class

Subject: Developing a technical writing class
From: Howard Davis <howard -at- MSTR -dot- HGC -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 18:41:29 -0400

I've been following the certification discussion with interest as
many of the issues relate to my current efforts in drafting a syllabus for a
new technical writing class.

Our community college recently introduced a pre-engineering track,in
cooperation with local universities, for students who want to earn a
university degree. The tech writing class would be primarily, though not
exclusively, for these students.

Considering your daily experiences as technical writers, what do you
think students need to learn in an entry level class?

I know that this topic has been discussed before, but I would appreciate
any suggestions regarding content, format, etc. Respond to me
directly if this issue doesn't generate enough heat for the list.

Thanks.

Howard Davis
Writing Program Coordinator
Tunxis Community-Technical College
Farmington, CT (the land of too many steady habits)

e-mail: hmdavis -at- delphi -dot- com