Re: TIEBREAKER NEEDED: What do you call

Subject: Re: TIEBREAKER NEEDED: What do you call
From: "Starr, Mike" <Mike -dot- Starr -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 09:54:37 -0600

I call it a word; not a contraction, not an abbreviation, not an acronym,
just a word. What the heck is wrong with it being just a word; can't we see
the forest for the trees?
----------
From: Susan W. Gallagher
To: Multiple recipients of list TEC
Date: Thursday, July 20, 1995 8:01AM

John Renish, in his defense of "bit" as an abbreviation, states...

[snip]
> Removing "nary digi" and
> shortening the sound of the first I violates this definition.
(of an acronym)

[snip]

Funny, I'd always thought that they derived the term
by removing "inary dig". If you look at it this way %-)
you don't need to do anything to the i sound.

I'd call it a contraction, apostrophe be d**ned.
(but waddo I know!)

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com