What do you call this? Side Track

Subject: What do you call this? Side Track
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 07:49:41 PDT

Just a side track on this bit definition.

We are all familiar with bit and byte. There are other terms
we use in the supercomputer biz.

1 bit: Bit

2 bits: Dibit, for when instructions used this
granularity

4 bits: Nibble, often used for wider granularity,

8 bits: Byte

64 bits: Lunch, for our 64-bit word.

We didn't deal heavily in the 16-, 24- and 32-bit chunks.
Perhaps some of you have names for them?

Dick Dimock
AT&T Global Information Solutions
El Segundo, CA **EAT CROW, Episode 6**
Then, next to the feathered carcass on
the ground, the farmer ordered the
unsuspecting American Patriot to
pick up the dead crow. Thinking this
farmer was on an anti-littering, recycling
campaign, the soldier did so, and began to
stuff the carcass into his pack.