Re: What thrills you?

Subject: Re: What thrills you?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 12:14:54 +0800

> Arlen wrote 7/19

> "... Then suddenly everything was crystal clear and I scribbled like mad
> for a couple of hours. It was almost like taking dictation! The words were
> there, whenever I reached for them. And they didn't fight me, they didn't
> resist, but instead fell almost unbidden into line on the page before me!

I had this experience when doing an essay on Structured Programming.
The words flowed. The essay was clear, fluent, logical, beautiful. It
was the best work I had done. I got a middling mark.

I queried the mark with the lecturer. After much nodding and winking
on his part, I realised he thought I had lifted most of it from other
texts. He must have thought it read _too_ well.

It's simple enough to prove that something was plagiarised. How do do
prove it wasn't? I could have taken through all the texts in the biblio-
graphy, but that wouldn't prove I didn't take it from another text.

And this, from a man who gave a two hour lecture that consisted of his
reading verbatim from a photocopied IBM SNA manual.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au Voice: +61 9 328 8288

I believe in love, hope, truth, joy, wonder, freedom, diversity...
note that these are not necessarily the opinions of my employer