Re: Help Authoring

Subject: Re: Help Authoring
From: Laurie Holtby/Promis <Laurie_Holtby/Promis*PROMIS -at- TORNOTES1 -dot- DEV -dot- PROMIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 11:12:35 ES

>I'm looking for information on commercial Windows (NT) help authoring
>software (e.g., RoboHelp). Does anyone know of any relatively
>recent articles comparing them?

>also, anyone care to recommend a particular program?

>Deb_Schwartz -at- bio-rad -dot- com

I am also in the process of evaluating Windows help authoring tools. I'm
leaning towards RoboHELP at the moment--it seems to have the best combination
of functionality and usability. That was also the tool that the instructor of
my Windows Help course recommended.

For a list of reviews (and other WinHelp information), check out the following
World Wide Web page:

http://www.primenet.com/~wai/universe.html

Two articles mentioned there that compare the tools are the Windows Tech
Journal (March 1995) and the Microsoft Systems Journal (January 1995). I
haven't read these articles yet so I don't know how helpful they are.

Also subscribe to the Windows help authoring group:

Address: listserv -at- admin -dot- humber -dot- on -dot- ca
Message: subscribe winhlp-l Your Name

If you would like the addresses of the main authoring tools, send me a message
and I'll pass them along to you.

Good luck! The amount of information out there is mind-boggling. I'd like to
hear about the tool you decide on.

Laurie Holtby Promis Systems Corporation
holtby -at- promis -dot- com Toronto, Ontario