Conventions

Subject: Conventions
From: Gretchen Toth <glt -at- ICONOVEX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 11:36:19 -0500

Kayla-

You asked: Do you "click on" your pushbuttons? Do you "press" your pushbuttons?

Here we "click on" our pushbuttons, or buttons, as opposed to just clicking
a button. One fellow here expressed that it sounds silly to "click OK"
because it implies the user has to click in an acceptable manner rather than
clicking on a particular button. As for pressing, we "press" the keyboard keys.

Anyhow, I think Sue Gallagher sums it up:

"In general, around these parts we Click buttons, Press
keys, and Select pretty near everything else."

Question for everyone-

How have you decided to treat or emphasize dialog box names, icon names,
file names, basically everything the user sees on the screen, chooses from,
manipulates, in your written documentation and on-line documentation for
that matter!

While my temptation is to emphasize everything in a unique way, that method
could do nothing but confuse the novice user and even clutter the page. I'm
curious what solutions others have designed.

Gretchen L. Toth
Technical Writer
The Iconovex Corporation
gretchen -dot- toth -at- iconovex -dot- com