Re: If you are using...

Subject: Re: If you are using...
From: Dan 'Fergus' Roberts <droberts -at- PANIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 21:43:07 -0400

LaVonna Funkhouser (lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com) wrote:
: I had this phrase in my instructions
: "If you are using the (unit name) to send data over a LAN, . . . ,"
: and my editor took out "you are" to make "If using."
: I can overrule the change if I feel it is clearer the first way (which
: I do). Just for kicks, what do you think?

Debatable. since 'you' is more than likely the subject ofthe sentence,
<else you'd have a dangling modifier, which is also what I am about to
commit>, you dont really need 'you' in the modifier. If something else is
the subject "to send data over the LAN, the data is converted to ...", then
I would want to keep the 'you' in.

--
-----
Dan 'Fergus' Roberts