Re: Semiconductor types only: What is "Pinnacles" ?

Subject: Re: Semiconductor types only: What is "Pinnacles" ?
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:24:28 EDT

Anil Jain asks,

>> I'm trying to find out about "Pinnacles", a term that I heard recently.
>> Apparently it is a proposed (or adopted??) standard for on-line
>> documentation. My understanding is that it is meant for semiconductor
>> manufacturers.

Anil,

I'm not a semiconductor type, but I do look like one. And I can tell you a bit
about Pinnacles.

The Pinnacles project is a joint undertaking by Hitachi America, Intel,
National Semiconductor, Philips Semicnductors and TI to create a standard data
format for semiconductor documents, primarily datasheets. The data format is
being designed as an SGML DTD (Document Type Definition). The goal of the
project is to create an industry standard to support the electronic delivery of
semiconductor information to customers as well as to ease the task of
exchanging information between manufacturers.

I'm not up to date on the initiative right now. The DTD itself was being
written by ATLIS Consulting byDebbie Lapeyre. You can reach her at
acg-sgml -at- access -dot- digex -dot- com -dot- You can probably also get more info on the Web at
the SGML Open home page (www.sgmlopen.org) or at Robin Cover's SGML
bibliography (www.sil.org/sgml/sgml.html).

Best regards,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Director of Electronic Documentation
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]