Re: Embarrassing boo-boos

Subject: Re: Embarrassing boo-boos
From: Bonni Graham <bonnig -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 17:54:25 -0700

In my very first TW job, I was working on a multi-platform manual
documenting library software. Almost all of the information was
identical across platforms, except for the programming of function keys
(something we had an interface to let the user do). I had adequate
information on the DOS and VAX procedures, but no information at all on
the Mac. After playing phone tag and "just missed me" with the
programmer for about a week, I simplying inserted "plab yadayadayada"
after the opener "To program function keys on the Macintosh:". I
figured that since the programmer and I had been trying to communicate
about this, when he saw the filler text he'd plug in the right info.

Wrong.

I caught it in blue-line, about a month later, after fourteen other
people had reviewed the manual. It didn't go out to customers, but it
was a very near thing.

I now flag this stuff in a different color in my online copy, so it
jumps off the page at me...

Bonni Graham
Manual Labour