more power, more speed

Subject: more power, more speed
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 16:13:32 GMT

-> Begging can be so unattractive, but here goes. Please,
-> please, please, brag to me about it if you have a "top of the line"
-> pc, and also let me know what types and sizes of documents you

Dell P90, 32 megs RAM, 540 meg (tiny) hard drive (but a big network),
4x CDROM, etc.

Nanao 21 inch monitor (we have 2, management was feeling particularly
benevolent at that particular time) -- the engineers all have 17",
tech support 14-15", while some of the front office ladies are
getting 17" hand-me-downs -- I can see the benefits there, they are
doing order entry and customer database lookups all day, so it's nice
to have a bit of extra real estate on the screen to avoid squinting.

Lasermaster Unity 1800 laser typesetter (soon to be appropriated by our
new hotshot graphic designer over in marketing <sigh>)

Average document size: 600+ pages (some 2 volumes, some single volume)
2 main product lines, half dozen or so add-ons.

-> develop with it. I'm also interested in learning how you got such a
-> pc (does your company recognize that 386/sx 25's aren't too

Our head of programming spec'd my system (I am in the office across from
his, so he gets to see what I do). I not only have to document the
programs, I have to be able to run them at the same time. Fast CPU and
adequate memory are a must. Mine is the equivalent to what most of our
engineers are using for development. Seems like a fair deal to me,
since our doc staff are considered part of the development team.

Upgraded recently from a 486/66 with 16 megs, which was adequate but
occasionally was left gasping for memory. Running WinNT on that system
would have been out of the question, though it handled Win95 quite well.
Current system is WinNT/95 dual boot, with 95 running the vast majority
of the time.

-> you upgraded to your current pc, and any noticeable improvements in
-> productivity, quality, efficiency, etc.

Well, a P90 is obviously going to be faster than a 486/66, If your work
involves CPU-intensive things like word processing and DTP, the
improvement in speed will allow you to be more productive, and will give
you the time to improve and fine-tune your work, rather than struggling
to get a basic product out by deadline. Faster CPU and more memory will
translate into fewer system crashes, less risk of losing important data,
and a better finished product because you'll be able to take advantage
of the advanced proofing and editing features of your word processor
that are currently impractical to use.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
http://www.mustang.com ftp://ftp.mustang.com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500