Re: Hideous grammar

Subject: Re: Hideous grammar
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 14:56:13 MST

Janet-->
>> originally wrote-->
>>> I deleted your argument/example that technical writers should be paid the
>>> same as technical programmers. I happen to believe we *should* be paid the
>>> same. Not only do we have to understand the technical concepts, even read
>>> the programming languages, about which we write, we also have to be able to
>>> explain these same concepts in clear, concise, understandable language so
>>> that others can also understand. To me, that's makes us doubly-skilled.
>>> Ever read a programmer's attempt at technical writing?

Me-->
>>======
>>I completely agree with the need for pay equality.
>>I strongly disagree with the statement "..., even read the
>>programming languages, .... To me, that's [sic] makes us
>>doubly-skilled."

Janet-->
> *Excuuuuse me* for making a typo. No need to get tacky with your [sic]. I
> orignally meant to type, "To me, that's what makes us doubly-skilled..."

Janet, sorry about the "[sic]" thing. I didn't realize it would
come across that way. Big breach of netiquette on my part.

Me-->
>>Being able to read and understand code is *not* the same as
>>being able to *write* that code.
>>
>>That's the same as saying that because your auto mechanic can read and
>>understand written text, then he or she is doubly-skilled (auto
>>mechanic and technical writer). Sorry, but that's wrong.

Janet-->
> No. That's not the same. It would be the same thing if the auto mechanic
> were able to write the maintenance manuals that other auto mechanics would
> use.

Yes. It is the same. When I expanded the analogy below, you
seemed to agree with me.

Me-->
>>Maybe *you* are dual-skilled (you said that you were a
>>programmer), but that duality isn't because you know how to read
>>programming languages, that duality is because you used to *be*
>>a programmer.
>>
>>Oh, and while I'm on this soapbox, the ability to write a simple
>>C program that prints "Hello World" on the screen ALSO does
>>*not* make one dual-skilled. That auto mechanic can probably
>>write a damn clear paragraph about pistons, but could he or she
>>expand that into an entire manual describing the internal
>>combustion engine?

Janet-->
> Very true. I switched from software development to software documentation
> because I prefer writing, and I'm a good writer. I found programming to be
> tedious and frustrating; I find writing exciting and challenging. And yes,
> I wrote more than "Hello World" (another tacky inference IMHO).

I used the "Hello World" example only because that, as an
ex-programmer, you would understand what that meant (people who
call themselves programmers after taking an Intro to Data
Processing course). I had no doubt that your experience went well
beyond that. The "ALSO" I used meant that it was an
additional example, and one more pertinent to the topic than an
auto mechanic. It wasn't referring to anyone in particular.

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=