Tech-writing

Subject: Tech-writing
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 21:26:01 LCL

Hello Renee,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von "Cornelisen, Renee @ SLG" an All am 27.07.95

"R> The digest of July 26, 1995 included a post regarding a job for
"R> a senior
"R> tech-writer at Novell, in Utah. It required knowledge of C and
"R> the ability
"R> to read and understand source code. Is that something
"R> tech-writers do?

shurely, but not everyone in our profession. I did several 10.000 lines of
code by myself. The first 2000 lines are in a carton in my closet: 2000
punched cards from my programming courses at university (back in 1977). I even
know where the soldering iron gets hot.

Others do things on a dayly basis I can only dream about, like drawing
diagrams.

Here in Germany, unemployed teachers, chemical engineers and so on get on
courses that typically last 12 months. Most of these courses are payed by the
public unemployment enshurance (the people even get money to live from). You
cannot expect these people to do what I do after nearly seven years at
university and my EE degree. But I cannot write operating instructions for a
housewife.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander