Re: Capitalization Question

Subject: Re: Capitalization Question
From: Blair John <Blair -dot- John -dot- MM5 -at- MACMAIL1 -dot- NB -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 10:01:53 -0800

Kelly Burhenne wrote:

> I think "chapter", "figure", and
> "appendix" should be capitalized when followed by a number, regardless
> of whether or not the name is listed.

> Anyone care to give me their opinion? Specifically, I'm most
> interested in "chapter", "page", "figure", and "appendix" when
> followed by a number.

Hm-m-m-m-m...I seriously doubt there are any "rules" that address the issue
except for the ubiquitous rule of usage consistency within a document or group
of documents. In my own writing, I always capitalize Chapter, Figure, and
Appendix (and I can't think of any case where any of them would be used without
a number or letter).

I try to stay away from any page references in my documents because of
potential revision/pagination problems down the line. If the word processor is
used to provide automatic updates of page references, fine. However, in my
work I simply refrain from using page references in my text (references to
specific paragraphs, chapters, or sections usually works just as well) so the
question of capitalizing the word Page in any other place except for my footers
doesn't come up.

<and there I go again, ending a sentence with a preposition!!!>

John Blair