Re. Virtually terminal

Subject: Re. Virtually terminal
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 17:05:26 LCL

Dick Dimock, our artfully senior El Segundoite, di-mocks the
suggestion that "VT100" means "virtual terminal 100". Yet I too have
heard this suggestion, and given that IBM produced an operating system
no less annoying than Windows (called, MVS, multiple virtual
something), the concept of a 40-pound terminal that is virtual strikes
me as reasonable. Any DEC-ites out there who can confirm this?

BTW, here's some more acronymic trivia for you, courtesy of Jim Prall,
an old friend: APL = APL Programming Language (it's a recursive
definition) <grin> this will, of course, make sense to you if you're
familiar with what Jim also called the world's first "write only"
programming language. <grin again>

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.