The myth of sexist language

Subject: The myth of sexist language
From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 1995 20:14:34 -0400

I responded to Callie's posting (below) by saying I knew of no one who would
maintain that words cause oppression.

I do maintain that the use of "he" as generic third-p. s. pronoun (for
example) supports the oppression of women in that it gives repeated, subtle,
almost subliminal preference to men over women in the course of every-day
speech and writing.

What I am about to ask will weaken my argument just a touch, because the
reference to Latin feminine nouns is almost irrelevant, but I'll throw it in
anyway, to emphasise the repetitive, subtle, almost subliminal mischief
performed by the "generic" he: How many times a day do the Spanish have
occasion to speak of la libertad? On the other hand, how many times a day
do we all have cause to use a third person singular pronoun?

--- Joanna