Re: Exercise and Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Exercise and Tech Writers
From: Steve Wax <stevewx -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 00:41:39 -0700

> * Ball Crusher. Sitting on a chair, hold a child's rubber ball between
> knees and squeeze: one of the best exercises for inner thighs.

> * Latin Lover Leg Lift. Fit this in while waiting for colleagues.
> Stand with hands on back of chair and lift left leg back and to the
> side, raising foot 4 in from ground. Hold for count of 10 feeling
> contraction of front and back thigh muscles. Repeat at least three
> times.

Colleagues of the hornier gender may approach practitioners of the Ball
Crusher and Latin Lover Leg Lift with some trepidation. The choice of names
for these exercises can get to you, and their perfectly innocent
descriptions do little to allay the anxiety: Does the second exercise render
a colleague vulnerable to the first? Does the first help the practitioner
feel safer about doing the second or does it merely make the second
impossible? Or is the juxtaposition of the two titles as innocent as their
descriptions?

Somehow Ball Crusher and Latin Lover Leg Lift make greater impressions than
their explanations. But they do make you read on. Which is just what they're
meant to do! How on-topic can you get? Has all the elements of a
convivially controversial new thread--how to pique reader interest by
jazzing up dry technical material with sexy section titles:

Ball Crusher (a primer on shot peening)
Latin Lover Leg Lift (safe use of stepstools and ladders in scholarly
library)

Well gosh, I guess those exercises do work. I feel better already.

--

steve wax stevewx -at- eskimo -dot- com
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.