question about term

Subject: question about term
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 09:52:28 -0500

A call for help....

I have to explain (per our specs) a "wild card" search for a software manual
(I won't use the quotation marks in my document), but when I started looking
up the spelling I ran into a dead end. I can't find the correct spelling
anywhere. It seems strange that this word is not found in the dictionaries!

I have looked in the Following dictionaries:

"Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary"
"Oxford American Dictionary"

and also in "The Random House Thesaurus, College Edition"

So, my question is: Do we spell it "wild card" (two words) or "wildcard"
(one word)? Or is there a better term altogether?

Thanks.

Jane Bergen
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com
or