Re: The myth of sexist language

Subject: Re: The myth of sexist language
From: John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 09:33:29 PDT

Au contraire. Ludwig Wittgenstein says, "We don't so much say what we think
as think what we say." Additionally, I recall having read more than one
feminist argument (authors, sadly, since forgotten) to exactly that effect.
Callie's point remains ungainsaid, no? Surely if the opposite is true; i.e.,
thoughts influence language, Latin American Spanish would long since have
changed the gender of the words in question. If neither is true, what is the
point of the discussion in the first place?

John -dot- Renish -at- conner -dot- com
My statements are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals, Inc.
Original Text