Re: Text highlighting

Subject: Re: Text highlighting
From: Loren Castro <lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 11:10:49 -0700

Glenn Crumpley issues a request:

> We're updating our style guide and trying to arrive
> at a uniform convention for indicating field names.
> We currently use quotes, but agree that it adds too
> much noise to the page. We are experimenting with bold,
> but many of us feel it overwhelms the surrounding text.
> I'd be interested in hearing what conventions are currently
> in use by others.

Glenn:

When I started what is now a 200-page software requirements specification, I
suggested these conventions to the system and software engineers:

When a direct reference to a word or term on a screen
appears in the text, I change its font to helvetica and
bold it. I use helvetica because that's what our gooey
guy (thanks, Bev) uses on his screens.

I use a programming convention and one of my own to
identify variables and constants. The programmers use
underscores to connect multiple-word parameters, which
I believe is common practice. I add acronyms in square
brackets to identify the source.

Example: ST_Max_Acceleration [SPF] is a variable in
the System Parameters File.

Example: Target_Height_Slew_Max [SCF] is a constant in
the System Constants File.

I'm not sure whether this has any direct application to your request, but it
works for us.

lfc -at- sol -dot- chinalake -dot- navy -dot- mil