Bylines and Contingent Fee

Subject: Bylines and Contingent Fee
From: Sally J Meckling <salmeck+ -at- PITT -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 10:25:41 -0400

I would appreciate any advise on the following dilemma:

I have agreed to write a magazine article for a scientist (for a popular,
not scientific audience). The article is biographical more than
scientific and involves an intellectual properties suit he filed against
the feds. Anyway, I'm wondering how the byline should read. Does anyone
have experience writing collaboratively? I've written the piece, but he
has supplied all information and the article is about him.

The second dilemma is that I've agreed to write this on a contingency
bases. What percentage of the selling fee should I be asking for? The
scientist will be selling this article to a popular, national
magazine. Since I am a technical writer, I have very little experience
in magazine publishing.

Thanks in advance,

Sally Meckling
salmeck -at- pitt -dot- edu