Re: Enquiries/Inquiries

Subject: Re: Enquiries/Inquiries
From: Grant Hogarth <GRANT -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 13:24:09 +8

To judge from my Concise Oxford Dictionary,
the difference depends on whether you favour Latin or Greek roots. :-)

On the other hand, I would agree with your sense that an "Inquiry"
is something that an official body conducts. (viz. "Inquest")

Grant.
just rootin' around.....

--- re: Anne Casey's message "Enquiries/Inquiries" ---

> I need the collected wisdom to adjudicate on a matter.

> I recently corrected someone using 'Inquiries' -
> and his response was that although he preferred
> Enquiries, the Oxford dictionary he consulted
> suggested that Enquiries is an alternate spelling.

> My understanding is that an Enquiry is to ask, and
> Inquiry is, for example, a Judicial Inquiry, or
> even the Inquisition; less of a request and more
> an investigation.

> So - am I right? I dearly hope so, because Inquiries
> always makes me squirm.

> Thanks people,

> Anne Casey
> Techwriter from the end of the Internet

Grant Hogarth, Information Services
Onyx Graphics Corp. Midvale, UT

It's not that big a net, but I wouldn't want to miss it...